Monday 30 April 2012

Nowhere to go. Nothing to do. Just Be.



A lot of people say that Yoga makes them “feel good”. No matter what stress happens in my day or week, once I get in a Yoga room, lying on my mat, I already feel better. Once I hit the last Savasana of the class, an almost blissful feeling comes over me and stress has melted away. Now, there are many reasons that Yoga makes people feel good, but for me, I believe I can narrow it down to one: Presence.

One of my favorite quotes reads: “You can clutch the past so tightly to your chest that it leaves your arms too full to embrace the present”. Yoga promotes breathing, moving and feeling everything in the present moment. No room for worrying about the future or ruminating about the past. It isn’t an easy task all the time, but, learning to remain present has taught me a lot in the Yoga room. It has taught me to be patient with myself when my arms shake in my arm balance. Compassion, when I feel frustrated. It forces me to feel vulnerable when I open my chest in bridge pose, but allows me to feel safe and supported by my own strength. It has shown me the benefits of moving outside my comfort zone and has encouraged me to try (insert ANY challenging pose), sometimes fail, and try again. It reminds me to let go in forward folds, and of any fears, expectations or outcomes. And then, in the last Savasana of the class, I am able to “just be” and stay present with the joy that comes over me.

Sandra McNeill 
 Sandra is a current member the Yoga Centre Winnipeg 200hr Teacher Training Program.

If you are following this blog, you may have noticed that the recent posts have been from current members of the Yoga Centre Winnipeg 200 hr teacher training program.  The majority of posts, and perhaps all, in the next two months will be from them. They have been given an assignment to write a blog addressing something that inspires them in their yoga practice or teaching.   We thought it would be a great opportunity to feature different voices in the yoga community: some may inspire, some may provoke. Whatever the case, it is an opportunity expand our circle of awareness and embrace the symphony of others in our community

No comments:

Post a Comment