Saturday 11 August 2018

why i signed up for teacher training!


I had never planned to become a yoga teacher. I enjoy yoga, and have been doing it for many years but it never entered my mind to teach it. I had been following a Zen Buddhist path for many years when it became evident that I must step into a teaching role – which was not in my comfort zone! I had an intense discomfort of being watched, scrutinized, and the centre of attention. I have had many
inspired and wise teachers over the years and I wondered what I could offer.

Around the same time, yoga teacher training “came up” as a possibility and I knew it was the correct next step for me to take. My instincts were confirmed in my very first teacher training class by the approach and presence of our wise and knowledgeable teacher Shauna. I marvelled at her naturalness, grace, sense of effortlessness, and humour and by the words we read of B.K.S. Iyengar to “treat your students as though they are divinity”. This was in complete alignment with my spiritual path! I was in the right place. I would learn to teach and be comfortable in my skin doing it.

Starting a daily yoga practise with a deep exploration of poses surprised me by being a great joy. It wasn’t a chore or a drag like I thought it might sometimes be. For much of my life I was disconnected from my body and sometimes it behaved unpredictably and almost felt like an enemy. It was a gift to spend this time getting to know my body – it felt like falling in love.




Body, on the Zen path, is often conspicuously not mentioned. Body is relative and temporary, like ego, and not considered worth spending time on.

But we are embodied – our bodies are our only vehicles in this life and are sacred – they must be taken care of. Part of my path has been reintegration of splintered/disowned parts and yoga has been profoundly healing in reclaiming my body and moving me towards wholeness.

No comments:

Post a Comment