Thursday 26 July 2018


What I love about yoga is that it is an endless opportunity to learn. As an information junkie that would love to be a professional student for life, I seem to have chosen the correct path.


As a practicing student, I am continuously learning. The other day while reading an article for the course, I had what may have been a lightbulb moment. Realizing all at once that I had been processing information without a proper understanding of ‘equanimity’, and then learning (and understanding) what the definition actually was.  In hindsight, I can see signs of there being a lack of understanding – I had difficulty pronouncing it (equa…ni..niminity, or something), I couldn’t put my finger on a clear definition in my mind, and the context in which it was used often didn’t seem to be clear to me. If I would have been asked, I would have given some vague response as to what the definition was, summing up the vague idea I had in my head (something connected to equality…?) So, when it came across my path and I was presented with the actual definition which caught my attention and resonated, I knew this was a lesson that it was time to learn.


e·qua·nim·i·ty
/ˌekwəˈnimədē/
Noun
mental calmness, composure, and evenness of temper, especially in a difficult situation.
"she accepted both the good and the bad with equanimity"



This certainly was not what I’d been showing an abundance of lately. The concept of mental calmness was feeling like a mix of past memories and future goals. As someone who also learns best through experience, I had a very suitable opportunity to gain practice in developing equanimity.

Yoga will continue to teach you.
Forever. 
Always in the right moments, always with the right lesson.
Oh, and I can pronounce it now.
Emily



No comments:

Post a Comment