Tuesday 18 February 2014

Yoga is my journey for positive change.


In my yoga class, our instructor gives us variations or choices of what yoga pose to do at that moment.  Depending on how we feel that day, we choose to start in Sukhasana or Virasana, we can do a wall stretch or Adho Muhka Svanasana.  We can do Baby Cobra or Urdhva Mukha Svanasana.  My yoga practice has helped me to find variations or choices in my daily life.  I choose to feel gratitude instead of unappreciative, feel strong and balanced instead of weak, feel energized instead of depleted of energy and feel relaxed instead of anxious.  I get this from doing yoga.

Practicing yoga has improved awareness within myself as well as those around me especially in Sukhasana or Virasana.  I am better equipped with dealing with arthritis in my hips and emotions such as anxiety and impatience just by finding my breath and perhaps forward folding into Uttanasana. 

My arms and hips feel gratitude as I do a wall stretch or Adho Muhka Svanasana, and I feel strong and grounded in Tadasana.   I find strength, balance and confidence in Trikonasana, Vira II, Utthita Parsvakonasana, Vira I and Parsvottanasana as I have come a long way since my first Triangle pose.  I feel release in my hips and peace of mind as I move into Prasarita Padottanasa.  I find my breath again in Tadasana.

Sura Namaskara B gives me the challenge, heat and energy that I enjoy. I feel tension releasing out of my back body and core so I want to do it again – Sura Namaskara B.  I like to cool down in Setu Bandha, relax and do some twists while I lie down on my mat and prepare for Viparita Karani  and Savasana.  I think to myself  “I am happy and at my best when I am being active, being kind and helping others. ”  

Through yoga poses, I have developed a sense of self empowerment.  I have discovered the courage to look inward and appreciate myself as well as those around me.  And I strive to live a life of forgiveness and compassion instead of being angry; being grateful instead of unappreciative; and live to help others instead of being selfish.  Yoga is my journey for positive change.
anonymous
This blog is part of the continuing  series of blogs written by students in the Yoga Centre Winnipeg 200hr Teacher Training Program

No comments:

Post a Comment